Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Diary of a Real Pregnancy: Week 8 - The Dreaded C Word

The Dreaded C-word... c-c-constip... ahh I can't even say it

Oh, lovely lovely. All jacked up on prenatal vitamins, a digestive system that has come to a halt and hormones doing all kinds of wild and wonderful things to your insides, you may find yourself sitting on the throne, waiting. And waiting. And nothing's happening. But then it is! But no... it's not.

Constipation.

Ohhh it's so wonderful isn't it? The bloating makes total sense now. Meanwhile it's been hours, days, who knows how long since you went last. Really?... I have to feel crappy, AND deal with this? It's really not fair.

Now, knowing this was coming, after having gone through the unpleasantness for the last two pregnancies, I decided I'd try to preempt the constip-... er... issue. Here is my 8-week-gestation Plan To Avoid Getting Bunged Up.

  1. Full coffee, every morning. Choke it down. It's worth it. 
  2. Exactly 4 prunes, every morning. No less, and ohdeargod no more. 4 is the magic number.
  3. One Fibre1 bar mid-morning. I don't care how good they are DO NOT EAT TWO. Trust me on this one.
  4. Water, water, water. More water. Then some more. So much water you feel like you're floating.
This should be just enough to keep the horrible C-word at bay until your digestive tract can catch up with the hormones and get things going normally again.

They are your new friend. Embrace them.


Previous: Week 7: Back to Normal?
Next: Week 9: No, Really - Starving, and Stuffed


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!