Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Third OB appointment

We had our third OB appointment today at 16.5 weeks and it was great! I am up 3 more lbs to 127, blood pressure was 112/58, and my belly is measuring 17" (that's top to bottom, inches should just about match weeks so we are right on target).

We heard the heartbeat again, and Sean was there this time, yay!! He thought it was really neat too (I think - Sean? Are you there? Are you ever going to post anything? :) ) It was beating away at 150 bpm, so the same rate as last time. But, this time I took along a recorder, and got the heartbeat on MP3! Very cool! If I can figure out how to post a sound file on here, I will do that.

The doctor then asked if we thought we might like to find out the sex. We said we probably would, if we could. She said, "Well, would you like to go have a look now, see if we can see anything?" Of course we said Yes!!

So we once again trooped off to the ultrasound room. She even said, "I got it all warmed up, knowing you were coming in." Ha! I guess she figured we'd bug her for one again, which is really funny. Anyway we could tell as soon as she started that the baby has grown incredibly in just a few weeks. We could see a lot more this time, including the baby's profile (nose & chin), mouth opening and closing, ribs, and the heart beating!

At first, the doc pointed out that the baby had its hand up by it face, and then when she went back to that area a minute later, the baby was sucking its thumb! It was SO COOL, you could totally see that the thumb was in its mouth and it was making the sucking motion with its mouth. Wow!

And to think I still can't feel a thing! Well, I can't be sure, anyway. I think I might have felt a little "bump" of a hello on my birthday. It felt a lot like gas... but not in a spot where you'd feel a gas bubble. Plus, I wasn't very gassy at the time (a rarity these days. Sorry TMI!). So, maybe the baby was wishing me a happy birthday. That's what I will tell myself. ;)

Oh yeah the point of the ultrasound ! Well as it turns out, partly because of the low quality machine and partly because the baby was just being shy, we didn't get a good view between the legs. Oh well - it was still totally worth it! She did venture a guess as to what it was, but also said she was only about 51% sure - so we won't be buying anything in blue or pink just yet. (And no, I'm not telling what her guess was!)

Since we're leaving, the doctor made us promise we'd send pictures once the baby arrives, which we will do. It's sad to leave such a great place - I just hope our next doctor is as nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!